- use only external sutures (never use purple sutures dogs are allergic as are many humans)
- Make sure they tie off the umbelical cords with a suture don't tear them;
- Always have them give mom IV fluids during c-section;
- Always give them clavamox after a c-section cuts down on uterine scaring and helps with mastitis.
- Make sure you have good pain meds I love buprenex(sp)
Always X-ray a bitch one week before they are due.. this can also determine the size of the pups to see if you need a c-section to begin with.
There is a bit of controversy as too whether spaying a bitch at the time of a c-section stops milk production. I found that if the bitch has more than one pup I will spay them but if they only have one pup it does seem to limit and reduce the amount of milk production.
I worm the pups at 2 weeks with Nemex then at 4 weeks my vet recommeded using fendabendazole .. i use .1 per pound of liquid 10% solution and found this works amazingly well. The first time I use it for 3 days then I repeat at 7 weeks for 5 days. This kills Cocci too. I haven't had to use Albon/Flagyl near as much using this regime and my puppies wean really easy.